ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ed Sobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:41:23 -0800

Jason-

    I suggest you design backwards - that is, don't start with the
standards, start with the inquiry.  What can you have kids do?  Using
materials that are reasonably priced?  Starting backwards makes the process
much easier.

    We use inventing activities - design, build, test, and re-build.  We
want kids to control the process so we challenge them to invent toys.  In
the process they will encounter the science.

    Once you have activities, it's easy to relate the standards to them.
Much easier than starting with the standards and trying to figure out the
activities.

    After-school programs have to be fun and active.  Inventing (or
design-build) fits that requirement and puts kids in the position of wanting
to know more. Kids come to you asking for information, rather than you
telling them information they don't want.

    Check out "Inventing Toys: Kids Having Fun Learning Science" published
by Zephyr.  Next year they will publish "Locomotion" that will have 30 toys
kids can make along with curriculum.

                            Ed Sobey

Northwest Invention Center
2420 178th NE