ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:13:28 -0600

<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>We're looking into alternatives to our write-by-hand-on-whiteboard list
>of the day's activities positioned near the entrance desk. We need to
>list a changing assortment of on-floor events and demonstration for the
>day, and want to be able to list new programs to try out on occasion.
>Need also to list the time of the events. Be nice if the events that had
>already taken place could be removed.

We have recently begun using magnetic white boards and schedule items
printed onto magnetic paper that can be fed through a standard b&w or
color printer (I find it fascinating that something magnetic can be fed
into something that normally shouldn't be exposed to magnets).  The signs
are at both entrances & are changed every morning before we open based on
the activity schedule for the day.  The individual demonstrations, gallery
locations, and times are printed onto the magnetic paper & cut apart into
individual words or phrases.  For example, "Create a Comet" might be one
rectangle of the magnetic paper, the gallery location "Solar System
Gallery" is another one, and the times 10:30, 11:30, & 12:30 would be
others.  That way, we have flexibility with the times, locations, and
programs.  The magnetic paper sticks nicely to the white board & is not so
easy to remove that the pieces walk away - we haven't had one disappear,
yet.  It looks much more polished than a hand-written board, though the
fact that it IS a white board also gives us the option to hand-write
portions if something changes quickly that we don't have a sign for, yet,
or if we want to jazz up the sign with a drawing, picture, etc.  As you
find you need more signs, just print them up.

If you do this, the only warning that I'd give is to make sure that the
white board really is magnetic - not all of them are.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Michelle Nichols
Education Department