ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:25:18 -0600

[log in to unmask] writes:
>Our science center is exploring the idea of creating a "Walk of Stars" in
>our outdoor plaza to raise money and recognize donors who contribute to
>our
>building expansion project. Are there other centers that have developed
>something like this successfully? We're looking for something more
>different
>than the engraved brick pavers that some places have done. Thanks for your
>suggestions!

It just so happens that Dave from AHHA Museum Services has a pic of our
donor wall on his website.  Go to:

http://www.ahha-museumservices.com/museumphotos/AdlerPlm/donorwall.html

& you'll see our wall of stars entitled "Stars in Our Galaxy".  The wall
is facing a wall of glass that looks out onto the Chicago skyline & is
situated just outside our Cafe, so many people walk past it every day.
The donors of larger amounts of money have larger stars on the wall &
smaller donors have more modest sizes.  The stars are frosted plexi in
front w/the donor's name and silver behind to provide a 3-D star about an
inch thick.  The silver star in the back is a little bit larger than the
frosted plexi.  I think each panel on the wall is about 6' or 8' long -
total wall length is about 18'-20', I believe.  The number of stars has
grown (thankfully!) over the past few years & is really easy to add
to...just add more stars!  Placement is random on the wall.  By the time
we run out of wall space, we'll probably need a new facility.  That will
take a while. :>)

Michelle

Michelle Nichols
Education Department