From:
Ed Beary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 1994 08:50:18 -0500
        Using plastic does create some problems with cleaning.  You should
try to break off most of the large pieces of wax and then carefully, with
a razor blade, scrape areas with propolis build up.  It is best to do this
in a cool area or atleast cool the plactic down in a frig.  This way the
wax and propolis are brittle and will break off instead of smear.
        Many organics will affect the plastic by making it atleast temorarily
clouding.  Depending on the plastic, you could get a real mess.
        I use a cleaner called 409 which can be purchased from any grocery
store in my area.  You spray it on, let it sit for a minute or so and then
wipe it off.  With time, even this procedure will cause the plastic to
become cloudy.  There is always the occasional slip with the razor blade
which scratches the surface.
        What problems were you having with the glass?  Other than the
occasional slip and break, I have found glass OK.  What type of plastic
are you using?  I am using acrylic on one hive, and it seems to do ok.

Ed Beary