Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:16:10 -0400
Subject:
From:
>>  What are people seeing with comb in storage, particularly unused brood
>> comb?
>
>unprotected I have seen whole containers slimed. para seems to protect as
>does phosdin gas.

I am assuming this is in a southern region?  How far north have you heard of this?

>SHb will not *slime* when temps are low and when the humidity is 50% or less
>from the beeks

I assume that this is the secret?  We tend to have a very dry climate here (not
right now).  The summers are dry with only occasional rainy spells.  I wonder
how long it has to be humid to set them off?

>>...recipients are advised to re-cage the queens and to destroy the original
>> packaging and attendants.
>
>What about packages?

AFAIK, packages are not permitted from anywhere close to know SHB.

>>commercial beekeeper which runs many hives. We found the beekeeper in his
>>honey house extracting honey when the temp outside was in the 20's F.
>>It seems the beekeeper lets the bees protect the honey and comb until late
>>fall when he pulls the crop and stores when temps are too low for SHB and
>>moths to cause problems. When he is ready to extract he moves into the hot
>>room ,then the extracting room and then drums.

>I actually had never seen done before but I bet Allen has?
>Ever see cold weather extracting in Canada Allen? Our clover honey does not
>seen to crystallize in the comb like canola does when not extracted promptly

We don't have reported SHB here, so late extracting does not happen on that
account.  Additionally, our honey tends to granulate, so beekeepers extract as
soon as they can.

>Sioux Bee Honey is *paying* a buck seventy for bulk honey right now which
>catches honey producers attention.

That is reassuring, but those are US dollars, and the buying power is eroding.