ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cindy Chambers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:44:27 +1100

I think we send out four to five main e-newsletters per year, with a few
shorter, impromptu notices in between.
We used to send out hard copy newsletters, but switched to e-newsletters
several years ago.
Apart from reduced paper usage, e-newsletters allow for those occasional
timely notices and can be formatted with brief paragraphs summarising
the highlights, but containing links to further information or other
interesting things on the Internet.
Members want to know housekeeping stuff, such as when certain galleries
or popular exhibits will be closed; when new programs will be open and a
few curated science stories or activities.
Depending on privacy laws, you may want to include stories about your
Members as well.
For accessibility, we can print and post e-newsletters and associated
links for members, but I'm not sure whether this is still requested.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, in 2008-2009, 72% of
Australian households had Internet access (62% of all households had
broadband connection), so it's not a universal tool, but it's certainly
more common than when we started sending e-newsletters.
Something else to consider with e-newsletters is how the newsletter
format appears in several commonly-used web browsers of varying ages and
even on smartphones (iPhones, etc).

Regards
Cindy Chambers
Questacon Exhibition Services