From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:55:18 -0800

> >The original reference was interesting in that can be seen to relate to
> many things we think about regarding bees and their relationship to their
> environment and the interventions used by beekeepers and other agricultural
> producers to deal with what we consider to be problems.

Thank you Moderator!  Yes, has strayed far.
My original point was whether the pollen and nectar from plants that had
been attacked by pests might be more toxic to honey bees than that from
plants that had been protected by pesticides.

"If plant defensive compounds
are present in floral tissues and are deterrent to
pollinators, or if the cost of producing the compound
results in less attractive floral structures, then pollinators
may select against the production of these compounds

"Alternatively, plant secondary compounds could increase
pollinator attraction if decreased herbivory improves
floral displays or rewards  Thus, evolution
of some plant traits may be constrained by opposing
selection from herbivores and pollinators."

[Citations removed; from Adler 2001 The ecological significance of toxic
nectar]

There are many bee toxins in various nectars and pollens (just look at the
amount of amygdalin in almond pollen, or the pyrrolizidine alkaloids in many
nectars).  Adler suggests that stressed plants may inadvertently increase
the amounts of these toxins in the nectar and pollen.  If so, then using
pesticides in agricultural crops might actually make the nectar and pollen
less toxic to bees!

Ames' point is that we regularly test for any toxicity due to pesticide
residues, but that we don't test to see how pesticide use affects the
balance of natural toxins.

I posted originally as food for thought regarding bees, not as a discussion
of human food.

Randy Oliver