ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Spana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:02:38 -0500

Anna,

Years ago I went round and round trying to find a solution for flooring.
I went through about 5 types of flooring before finding something that
worked. The only flooring that would work is a rubber mat used for the
entrance of walk-in refrigerators or freezers like what you would find
in a restaurant or an industrial setting. It is a thin rubber mat, but
the surface is similar to very coarse sandpaper. Insurance companies
will advise you that your flooring should have a slip coefficient rating
of at least 5.

It's possible you might encounter a few lightly scraped knees, but it is
a small price to pay for safety. For comparison, I used Dri-Dek and had
multiple injuries associated with it. At least one person broke their
ankle on it. As Paul says below, it is great for draining water, but not
for soap solution. The Dri-Dek does not provide a slip free surface when
dealing with soap.

Drainage mats will work, but have three sets on hand because you will be
rotating them on a regular basis for cleaning. Traffic was high at my
museum so we were rotating them out daily for cleaning. It was very
labor intensive and didn't make much sense to do, but at the time we
were desperate for something that was safe.

Flooring is only half of your problem. Depending how much solution is
spilled on the floors, you will be surprised how far it can travel and
how much damage a little bit can do. The soap solution at our museum
eventually raised the tiles on the floor, corroded the metal studs in
the wall and seeped through the wall and started damaging the flooring
on the opposite side. This happened even with good maintenance and a
drain in the middle of the floor.

Another thing to keep in mind is soap in the air. Again depending on
your amount of traffic, you will soon find a soap film in the ceiling of
your bubble room and on walls of adjacent galleries. We had enough soap
travel through the air to cause problems in the aquariums of a nearby
gallery.

Bubble rooms take a lot of maintenance. I hope this will be of some help
to you - good luck with your exhibit.

Paul

Paul Spana
Exhibits Manager