HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:57:35 -0500
Kris,

In answer to your comment

"is it possible
that the only remains of the site are articulated across the field?"
I would think not.  The excavation of the Franklin Glass Works in Portage
County, Ohio produced a large plowzone collection of ceramics dating from
1824 to ca1832.  Most of the crossmends were within 5 to 10 feet of each
other.  The site had been plowed for over 150 years.  This has been written
up in my article "Of Fish and Sherds: A Model for estimating Vessel
Populations from Minimal Vessel Counts" that was published in *Historical
Archaeology* Vol 20 (2:59-85).

Peace,
George L. Miller