HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:37:32 -0500
Cathy,

I have a question about your “Owens mark on the base.”  Are you refereeing
to a maker’s mark from the Owens Bottle Company, or an Owens suction scar
on the base of the bottle?  The Owens box-O mark for the Owens Bottle
Company, according to Toulouse does not begin until 1911 (pp 393 in
Toulouse’s *Bottle Makers and their Marks*).  The Owens Bottle Machine
Company did not begin leasing out their bottle-blowing machine in a big way
until 1905.  Many of the early bottles made on that machine were cork
stopped rather than screw threads or continuous thread finishes.  Your
bottle also has “MADE IN U.S.A.” that tends to be later.  Are you sure the
glass is solarized?

Peace,

George L. Miller