HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:54:30 -0500
Kristin,

For both my master's and doctorate I used ethnographic interviews,
questionaires, etc. and both qualitative and quantitative analysis of  data
to inform the ways archaeologists intersect with "hurtful" historiess. Can
provide digital versions or citations if needed. If so write me off list.

But you might also want to look at these books:

Mortensen, Lena, and Julie Hollowell, eds. 2009. Ethnographies and
Archaeologies: Iterations of the Past. Gainesville, Florida: University
Press of Florida.

Castaneda, Quetzil E., and Christopher N. Matthews, eds. 2008. Ethnographic
Archaeologies: Reflections on Stakeholders and Archaeological Practices.
Lanham, New York, Toronto, Plymouth, UK: Altamira.

Plus this article:

Meskell, Lynn. 2005. Archaeological ethnography: Conversations around Kruger
National Park. Archaeologies 1 (1):81-100.

Plus -- a lot of the stuff coming out of heritage studies in Europe uses
ethnographic methods to examine various questions. I'd scan past issues of
the journal Public Archaeology for a start.  In terms of social memory, you
might also want to look at the work of Paul Shackel.

Good luck.

carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org