HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tonia Deetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:08:11 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
To: HISTARCH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Mar 3, 2011 2:13 pm
Subject: Re: summer programming for high school age kids?

Adrian Meyers:
	The nonprofit Old Pueblo Archaeology Center occasionally offers
rchaeological site survey and excavation programs in which our members
an participate, during southern Arizona’s cooler months (usually
ctober-March). Old Pueblo normally does not offer volunteer-assisted
ield excavations or surveys during summers, however, because of southern
rizona’s high summer temperatures.
	Two other southwestern organizations we recommend for warmer-season
olunteer-assisted excavations are the Coconino National Forest’s Elden
ueblo project near Flagstaff, Arizona, and the Crow Canyon
rchaeological Center in Cortez, Colorado. For information about Elden
ueblo programs you can visit this web site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/forest-resources/archaeology/elden-pueblo/index.shtml
. . . or contact Lisa Deem-Edmonson <[log in to unmask]> or Peter
illes Jr. <[log in to unmask]>.
	For information about Crow Canyon’s programs you can call 800-422-8975 or
isit their web site at crowcanyon.org.
	Also, you may find other opportunities listed in the Archaeological
ieldwork Opportunities Bulletin (FOB). Published annually by the
rchaeological Institute of America (AIA), the FOB is a comprehensive
isting including detailed information about hundreds of archaeological
xcavations and field schools throughout the world with openings for
olunteers and students. Every entry provides information on the
xcavation site (including the site name, location, and age), application
eadlines, excavation dates, costs, university credit options,
ite-specific bibliographies, contact information, and summaries of the
ork to be done at the site. The FOB also includes a selected
ibliography, listings of affiliated institutions and related
rganizations, and State Archaeologists and State Historic Preservation
fficers. New issues are published each January 1 for the upcoming field
eason. For pricing or to order a copy call 800-791-9354 or see
ww.oxbowbooks.com.

llen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
ld Pueblo Archaeology Center
O Box 40577