HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:43:11 -0800
Hello HISTARCH Members,

It's been a number of years since a symposium has focused on MINING at the
SHA annual meetings. And since mining is, of course, everybody's favorite
research topic, I think it's past time that we have another.

Perhaps this isn't the proper way to place a "Call for Papers", but here
goes anyway.

No, I'm not going to provide a detailed, finely tuned Symposium Abstract at
this time (I'm a sinner !). Let's be realistic: I'm only trying to bring
like-minded folks together around a general topic, so we can learn
something from each other about what we're doing out there, and how we're
doing it.  So, I'm not going to limit this Call in any way.  If you've been
working on mining-related historical archaeological research out there, I'd
like to hear from you.

Any mineral/resource type is fine
Excavations vs. surveys - all are welcome
Any geographical area - why limit it?
Any topic: social-behavioural, industrial, economic, techological/material
- the more the merrier

You get the point.

If you're still interested, read on:

You need to send to me BY COB FRIDAY JUNE 25, your 1. First name and Middle
Initial, 2. Last Name, 3. e-mail address, and 4. Paper title.

Note: This is NOT the deadline submittal on the SHA website.

Here's the catch: I actually work a lot during the summer! I have a one
week window of opportunity to submit the symposium information to the
online conference registration system in late June, and then get back to
you with instructions on how to sign up your paper and abstract.  I WILL do
this, with clear instructions to you on how to proceed, but I will NOT be
around in the days leading up to the July 18 abstract deadline.  If you
have questions, you'll need to contact the online conference organizers,
not me.  The Online Conference Registration procedure is actually simple
and user friendly .... provided you know how to read and follow directions.
(gulp!).

Hope to hear from you.  Best,

Robin

Robin O. Mills, Ph.D.
Archaeologist - Eastern Interior Field Office
BLM-Fairbanks District Office
1150 University Ave.
Fairbanks, AK 99709
907-474-2359