HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:11:51 -0600
Ah, my favorite subject.

See my dissertation:

Catherine Holder Blee

1991 Sorting Functionally Mixed Artifact Assemblages with Multiple
Regression: A Comparative Study in Historical Archaeology. University of
Colorado - Boulder.

It's available from both the university and UMI Abstracts. I developed a
statistical method of predicting the contributors of trash dumps
(functionally-mixed artifact assemblages) using, at the time, six predictive
assemblages. I have since expanded the model to 11 predictive assemblages
and have eliminated the problems pointed out by Russell Gould in his 2002
doctoral dissertation, in which he largely attacked my method.

I will be publishing the updated method in the fall of 2011 through the
University of Nebraska Press. In the meantime, I am sending you the crucial
chapter chapter with the updated dated off-line. The dissertation outlines
the basic method. If you can get a hold of a copy of my recent report on the
Mascot Saloon in Skagway, Alaska, it also gives a detailed outline of the
updated methodology in an appendix.

Catherine Holder Spude
2006    The Mascot Saloon: Archaeological Investigations in Skagway, Alaska,
Volume 10. United States Department of Interior, National Park Service,
Anchorage Alaska.

Contact Karl Gurcke at [log in to unmask] for a copy of this report. Its
free.

I also used the method in my article in the January 2005 issue of Historical
Archaeology, which, hopefully, you have on your shelf.

All of the comparative assemblages were taken from almost one hundred sites
of known temporal and socio-economic attribution dating between 1880 and
1920 in the Western United States and Canada.

Watch for my off-line message.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude, PhD
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476 home
505-913-1326 cell

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you are standing outside the
fire," Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.