HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:34:38 -0500
From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
D. Babson,

It could be osage orange.  In the antebellum town cemetery at Old Cahawba
(an abandoned town near Selma Alabama) osage oranges (Maclura pomifera)
were planted as a protective fence inside a ditch that surrounded the town
cemetery. (according to newspaper accounts)  Only one of what must have
hundreds or thousands of these trees survives today at this long abandoned
cemtery.

However, I suspect that the wished for plantings in our small family
cemeteries were the evergreen shrub/tree that locals here currently call
cherry laurel, Philadelphus coronarius .  It is sometimes called "English
dogwood."

There is also a Trifoliate Orange, but I suspect that it didn't become
popular here until after the Civil War.  It too is a good hedge plant, but
was oringally meant to have real oranges grafted onto it.   I always find
this plant in rural African-American cemeteries, and you can't help but
think of the "crown of thorns" when you look at its tangled barbs during the
winter.

Linda Derry