Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 18:43:23 -0500
Peter commented:

In a message dated 1/23/2011 3:33:25 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Mullin CA, Frazier M, ...They "found 121 different pesticides  and
metabolites within 887 wax, pollen, bee and associated hive samples." No  organic
acids are mentioned. However,  many organic acids occur naturally in honey.

The Gastonia lab has a method that looks at close to 200 chemicals in  a
one pass analysis - BUT its not an unrestricted analysis.  It  won't find
things not included in its list of chemicals included in the suite of
pesticides that the instrument is set up to detect.

I'm amazed that they can do so many chemicals in one pass.  Only 10  years
ago, one  had to use different sample preps, different instrument  setups,
and often, different instruments for each category of pesticides - so  close
to 200 chemicals at one time is a huge step forward.

But, even this approach can't see every organic chemical.  Roger has  been
good enough to add a chemical or two for me.  But there is a limit to  how
broad spectrum this technique can go.

My point, absence of reports of organic acids does not necessarily mean
there was or were not organic acids - you have to look at the list of
chemicals  that this lab's procedures can detect.  If its on the list, then it
wasn't  detected or reported.  If its not, then it simply wasn't included in the
chemicals that were surveyed.

Jerry