From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:10:18 -0500
On 29-Nov-10, at 11:14 AM, allen wrote:

> I intend to change my floors to screens with a place for a drop
> board this year
> so I can monitor by observing drops whenever I like.  Drops tell me
> what I need
> to know if I don't try to push to the very edge of safety before
> acting.

Hi Allen and all

All of my hives are on full size screened bottom boards (except
nucs).  As the screens are open to the ground, mites and hive debris
fall out of the hive.  The bottom boards are designed to to allow a
restaurant tray,  holding the sticky papers, to slide in from the
back.  I normally (this past summer I suffered from lazybuggeritis
and didn't get it done) do mite counts every 2 weeks from June till
October.  Bi-weekly counts help to predict if and when a given hive
is going to hit the threshold ( the exponential rise is very
obvious).  I understand why many do 3-4 day counts( to get a more
precise average), but I find separating the mites from the hive junk
is almost impossible if the sticky boards are in more than 24 hours.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W