ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 20:08:44 -0700

Hi, Eric.

The Carbon Mitigation Initiiative at Princeton has developed a concept called Stabilization Wedges that does include cost as one factor in deciding how to address the climate change crisis.  The idea is that there are multiple technologies (the wedges),  all proven and already in use, that could contribute to reducing atmospheric carbon.  Each of these technologies, if scaled up, could contribute a minimum of 25 billion tons of reductions in carbon emissions over 50 years.  We need to save about 200 billion tons to stay at current levels, so any 8 of the 16 options could get the job done if fully implemented.

The wedges vary from conservation (higher fuel efficiencies for autos) to highly technical (carbon sequestration at existing power plants).  The Princeton group has developed this concept as a game for use at schools and elsewhere, encouraging kids to debate the options and decide which are most promising and most cost effective.  My company is currently developing a version of this concept as a public exhibit for a geothermal energy center here in California.  Happy to share more details off line with anyone who is interested.

The Princeton site is http://cmi.princeton.edu/wedges/.  You'll find a set of activities for teachers and lots of other good resources.

Chuck

On May 16, 2012, at 7:29 PM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> One thing
> was absent when I did make sufficient choices to do "save the world" was
> the cost. There was no estimate of what the costs to the international
> economies to attain levels ot avoid catastrophic temperature increases. It
> was disapointing that this information was not calculated. I've not seen
> any estimates. Anyone? It would be good to know what national sacrifices
> need to be made. But maybe it would be too depressing.
>
> Martin

Chuck Howarth, Vice President

G Y R O S C O P E I N C
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201