ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephanie Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:36:06 -0400

Hi,
I've run homeschool workshops for a variety of age ranges here at
MIT, though the average age is 12 years. I've had success framing the
workshops here in much the same way that I've framed family workshops
that require registration. The registration fee for these sessions
often explicitly pays for a child AND their caregiver. These
workshops are organized to be family group-centered -- they offer an
experience for a child and caregiver to go through as a team. This
often means that the number of children registered for a session is
lowered to balance the higher adult body count. I feel that it pays
off, though, because it gives me a chance to understand the different
family learning styles that walk through my door -- future programs
always reflect those observations!

I've offered many specialized sessions for homeschoolers over the age
of 12 -- I don't expect caregivers to stick around during these
workshops, though I make it clear to them that they are welcome to
stay if they (and their child) wishes.

Families register for pre-scheduled homeschool sessions individually
(not in groups). For me, this results in more kiddos who are there
because they are genuinely interested in the workshop topic, and not
because the group needed one more body to fill their quota. This is
especially useful during the workshops that explore more difficult
subject matter in depth (holography, optics, etc).

The sibling issue is always a big one. I can't blame the
homeschooling families for wanting to make a museum experience fit
the needs of all of their children -- but at the same time, I have no
desire to tutor 5-year-olds in the finer points of holographic
imaging! And I just don't have the heart to see a younger child
sitting in a corner watching the older kids having fun. Luckily, I'm
often able to use the constraints of the laboratory space, and its
inherent safety hazards as a way to discourage moms from bringing
younger siblings into the lab. I've also found that parents are a bit
more respectful of the sibling dilemma when the workshop experience
is framed as a parent/child team experience. The parent understands
that they will play a more active role when you present it this way,
which may discourage them from bringing a sibling who would distract
the "team" from their work.

I guess I'd agree with others who suggested that you make sure that
your message sent is consistent above all else. But I'd ask you to
think about your existing policies for family (or other non-school
group) programs, because your registration method sounds so much more
like one that's usually used with these audiences.

I hope this helps,
Stephanie

--
Stephanie Hunt
Research Associate, Emerging Technologies