Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:58:27 -0700
--- On Mon, 6/6/11, Peter wrote:  ... most beekeeping in this country is not local at all, since the beekeepers are migratory by nature.

I think we need to amend the above statement to say, "Most large scale beekeeping is not local and most large scale beekeepers are migratory."   I don't know the numbers, but I think a significant number of beekeepers are small scale and tend to keep their limited number of hives in a permanent location.  There is a lot of area in the U.S. that is not affected by migratory beekeeping.  It's these areas where the transmission of diseases, pests, etc, is minimized to where some of the beekeepers in these areas can say that they have run their bees for four, five, six years or more without the need to use methods of control used by the migratory beekeeping sector.

I have been keeping bees in my county since about 1998 and I can honestly say that I have used Sucrocide once on my bees about ten years ago.  Since then my bees have effectively been "treatment" free.  I do use screened bottom boards.  I have incorporated local swarms into my operation.  I have introduced advertised hygienic queens into my operation several times.  My hive numbers have fluctuated between twenty down to three and I'm now back up to nineteen.  I have plans in motion to make multiple splits after I have taken off my honey crop with the intention of increasing my hive numbers to double or triple the number I'm now running.  My success in running "treatment free" may be entirely due to luck and not repeatable elsewhere, but where I now am, it's working.  There are no migratory operations in my area since Alabama does not allow the transport of bees on comb into the state.  There are no big beekeeping operations near me.   There
 have been occasion of outbreaks of AFB in my county, but except for four of my colonies, I have not been affected by such and that was about six years ago.  I am in an expansion phase of my operation and am not closed to the inclusion of treatments in my colonies should I see a need to do so in order to remain a successful and growing operation.  However, if need be, I plan to use the least intrusive mode of treatment possible to try to control my problems.

I think there is opportunity for small beekeeping operations to develop a treatment free operation.  Do I advocate that?  No.  I just explain what I've been doing and how it works for me.  I don't say that treatment free is the way to go.  That is a decision that others need to make for themselves.  I just think that all options should be presented and the beekeepers be allowed to make informed decisions for themselves.  Most beekeeping is not local?  I think a lot of beekeeping is local.  You just don't hear from most of them on this list.  I have about ten or so beekeepers in this county which I have assisted.  A couple of dropped out because of pests and diseases.  There is one who has a colony that has hung on in spite of others that person added to their apiary from outside our area (packages) that have succumbed to disease and pests.  I want to include those genetics into my operation.  Bees have adapted through the ages.  I think
 they will continue to do so, just maybe not at the rate that we would wish.

And now I step off this soap box with this note:  Never argue with an idiot.  He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mike in LA