Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:26:32 +0200
>Alden, I am not sure what you mean but styrofoam readily permits an air
>exchange and, in some cases moisture wicking.  To prevent moisture wicking
>one must paint both the inside and outside of styro feeders.

This depends on the quality of the polystyrene. These boxes and feedes have
been in use here in Sacdinavia for more than 25 years. First batches had
problems but I have nerver seen a through leaking feeder. Many of mine are
unpainted. Painting is recommended for easier cleaning. Normal paints can not
protect against ants making holes. Some have tried special hard coatings, but
if good enough also very expensive. So not used.

If you buy, the density of boxes / feeders  must be more than 100g / litre.

The biggest problem of these boxes is woodpeckers.  They must be covered with a
net or something else against them.  The new style is to use cloth used in road
building between layers of gravel. Cheap and light.

Ari Seppälä

Finland