ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Trammell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:34:24 -0400

I'm not sure what you mean by "eLearning by doing" and what you are looking
for here.

Good teaching, like good teacher training, should involve demonstrations
that make a point and serve as an introductory note to the material in the
presentation. "Showing them some films" reminds me of Health classes in high
school taught by our coaching staff.

A great reference source on the value of demonstrations in presenting
material to students comes from Dr. Bassam Shakhashiri. His website -
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/ - can give you more ideas as well as ways to
contact him and his associates. IF he/they do not have personally published
studies, they should be able to point you toward them. Dr. Jerry Bell with
the Wisconsin Institute for Science Literacy can also be found at this
website. He, too, will have valuable input for you.
Bill Trammell