ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:00:09 -0500

Jennie

We prepare our floor staff Explainers to deal with difficult visitos by
having them first pointing out that this is a science museum and we deal
with science and not belief and suggesting that the visitors are welcome to
their beliefs. If the visitors persist we suggest the Explainers not argue
but that they offer to get someone higher up to discuss the issue and last
resort is to retreat to the bathroom. We really have not had much trouble in
NY. Though I am not sure that museum experiences are relevant to the
classroom. I think you have to be a strong teacher to deal with students who
are primed with questions but I suspect there are ways of dealing with this
especially if there is strong administrative support to deal with students
and parents.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, PhD