ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:32:50 -0500

Another study that tries to illuminate the relationship between teacher
preparation and the teaching of evolution:

High School Biology Teachers' Knowledge Structure, Acceptance & Teaching of
Evolution
Michael L. Rutledge and Melissa A. Mitchell
The American Biology Teacher Jan 2002 : Vol. 64, Issue 1, pg(s) 21-28 doi:
10.1662/0002-7685(2002)064[0021:HSBTKS]2.0.CO <http://2.0.co/>;2

Tis article fairly or not seems to put the difficulty of American's
acceptance of evolution at the feet of  teachers.

I have not found an article that I recall reading many years ago that gets
at the issues Carey referred to. Any one recall it?

I have a pdf of the article if you want it.

Martin

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]> wrote
in part:

> . . . .
> To me the real issue is the vulnerability of public school teachers. I
> taught a couple of years between high school and grad school. I can still
> remember realizing half way through teaching a play that it had a rape scene
> and laying awake at night worrying and if a parent got upset the principal
> would offer not support.  The pressure on teachers is immense and they are
> not protected by adminstrators or covered by the same traditions/contractual
> agreements about academic freedom that college professors are. School
> goverance is a huge issue. Asking individual teachers to take all the hits
> without developing some systemic means of protecting them won't work.
> Teacher education and workshops will have little effort because they do not
> address the places in the system where the issues lie.
>
> IMHO.
>
> Carey
>
> Carey Tisdal
> Tisdal Consulting