ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:16:19 -0700

Bob,

I love zoetropes, but so often when I see one presented in a science
center, I am disappointed.  In their heyday, these devices where the
next big thing -- there was a crackle of excitement in the air -- it
was the dawn of moving pictures! -- and the inventive geniuses at work
patiently perfected their operation one detail at a time.  The results
were at their best eye-popping -- it is amazing how effective (and
affective!) such a simple device can be when it is well designed.  But
without attention to details you get the blurred, dim, low contrast
image so sadly typical of the "modern" zoetrope.

The details most often overlooked are not difficult to do right, if
you think them through from basic principles.  The outside of the drum
should be flat black -- any other color will be mixed in with your
image and lower its contrast (I have seen some drums painted white!).
The slits should be as narrow as practical, to avoid motion blur -
like a fast shutter on a camera.- But a narrow slit doesn't let much
light in -- so a good zoetrope will have optimal lighting built in, or
else be carefully spot lit (no light should fall on the outside of the
drum, even if it is painted black).  The slits should be thin as well,
like the blades of a shutter, to open and close quickly -- you can
bevel the inside edges of the slits to thin them.  Lastly, the images
used should be high contrast.  Or, instead of images, objects that can
be posed against a white background work well -- none better than a
troop of Gumbys, for another connection to pioneering animation.

It not hard to build a great zoetrope -- that's why I find it so
disappointing to see poor ones on display.  So shop carefully!

All the best,

Tom Nielsen
The Exhibit Guys

On Jul 26, 2010, at 8:38 AM, Bob Raiselis wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> We have a nice draw-your-own zoetrope exhibit, and are considering
> getting a pre-built Zoetrope exhibit to go along with it. Anyone
> have a lead on someone making zoetropes that will hold up in a
> science museum setting?
>
> thanks.
>
> Bob Raiselis
> Montshire Museum

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

All the best,
Tom