ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Elliker, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:05:16 -0400

I'm no scientist and unfortunately my municipal IT filters haven't let
me view the diagram, but one possibility is that the diagram does not
include the change in image that occurs within the lens itself. Don't
the "light rays" refract within the lens and re-refract departing the
lens to get larger or smaller, depending on the curvature and thickness
of the lens? Then, in a telescope, the second lens not only focuses, but
(again, depending on shape) makes further changes (or no change if
symmetrical) in the size of the image.

John Elliker
Nauticus
One Waterside Drive