Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:51:48 -0800
?> >who is talking is extremely important

> When we are discussing facts, rather than biased opinions, it is not
> important who stated the fact.

Interesting points and a topic that comes up periodically.  In fact it was
Andy's tag line.

> ttul, Andy-
>
> (c)Permission is given to copy this document
> in any form, or to print for any use.
>
> (w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!

If only it were that simple.  Distinguishing facts from opinion can be
difficult and that is where 'creds' and track record come in.  Even then,
people sometimes speculate or hypothesize, and, of course, even the most
reliable sources can be wrong on occasion.

For general discussion among BEE-L members, attributions to the previous writer
typically get in the way, since they can sound personal and argumentative, and
since the context is already (hopefully) known by readers.

On the other hand, when discussing ideas associated with authorities or news
sources, attributions are useful for providing clues as to  context, source and
credibility and to give credit where credit (or derision) where such is due.
Knowing the source provides clues, only though.  Even a broken clock is correct
twice a day, and even the National Enquirer has broken stories of substance
that the 'respectable' papers missed.

Attributions should be accurate and also not to "off the record" speculations
or ad hoc answers to hypothetical questions made by researchers when
encountered in the corridor or the bar.  Ideas of that sort, if attributed,
should be attributed to "a researcher" or "a usually reliable source".