From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:36:54 -0300

> > I guess that keeps him running so the bees don't suffocate, or does the
> CO2 build-up pacify the bees -- to your advantage?

The tin lid is not screwed, it just sits on top of the jar.

To avoid or diminish subjectivity I nominated one of the crew as the "varroa
guy" .
Actually this is part of a bigger managment strategy that I am fine tunning.

I call it star organization. It is a mixture of SWAT and matrix organization
models.

Each one of the crew is like a submanager of a given area.

Sanitation and Nutrition (the varroa guy)
Genetics and Breeding
Managment and Pollination
Honey Production and other hive products
Maintenance and Wooden Material

While in one subarea all the rest of the crew obey the "orders" of the
submanager. I am not the boss, I am the coach. They are not the boss, they
are the captains of the soccer team. We are all the team, they are all the
captains. But the bees tell us which is the game we need to play. We need to
tunne with tha call from the hives.

The idea is that each one will take care of its own subworld being audited
by the previous and following in the process.

For example, the Honey guy want to maximize honey production, and therefore
will control the Queen guy, because if he takes too much bees for the nucs
or the queen production, the colonies will not be that strong for a good
honey crop. At the same time, the Maitence guy will control the Honey guy
like in the treatment of the frames while harvesting or extrating other wise
he will have to do to much repairs. The varroa guy also wants to knock
varroa down in the middle of the honey season to have a better wintering,
but cannot because the honey guy says you will contaminate my honey, etc.

I am working now on improving the incentives. Right now the crew have a
bonus equivalent to 10% of the net production. I am working on a scheme that
will bonify its own area of interest. Like you will receive a bonus for
lowering winter mortality, you for honey improvements, etc.

Te problems with all that I believe that what we do is not more than 30% of
the final result. So it is unfair to bonify / penalice for natures games!!!

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.