From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:36:59 -0600
Bob writes:
> Conclusion: I believe the future of varroa control will be in thymol,
> formic and oxalic

Comments:

Ok here are my comments since you asked:

>However, monoterpenoids such as thymol and menthol may not necessarily be
>safe for honey bees, since these compounds play a role in plants as broad
>spectrum pesticides.

Thymol & menthol are both registered for use on bees. When used as per label
I have never seen a problem. I realize the above is taken out of context but
not sure what the point is Peter is trying to make?

ALL pesticides used to kill varroa will KILL bees when applied at a higher
than label dose. Every one.

>Indeed, thymol and menthol were found to be among the most toxic of all
>terpenoids tested when applied to honey bees as a fumigant. Despite being
>naturally derived, these compounds may harm honey bees: thymol treatment
>can induce brood removal and may result in increased queen mortality.

Would you rather see the hive die from varroa & virus? Properly applied
there should be no brood removal *but* I prefer to see some slight brood
damage because private research has shown when the dose is correct for
maximum varroa control with thymol & formic some brood damage takes place.
Bill ( mitegone products ) has explained this at many presentations I have
attended. I have NEVER seen queen mortality with properly applied thymol.

> Repeated treatment of colonies with oxalic acid can result in higher queen
> mortality and a reduction in the amount of sealed brood.

to general a statement.

I only use oxalic when the bees are broodless so I see no reduction in the
amount of sealed brood. I see only normal queen loss over the winter. I see
the above about queen loss a hypothesis which can not be proved or
disproved.

> Beekeepers searching for the primary source of pesticides contaminating
> bee hives need only to look in a mirror.

I really tire of hearing the above! Just because these researchers can not
come up with a exact cause for CCD ( and instead a long list of hypothesis)
and a method for solving the problem they always point the finger at comb on
which they find coumaphos & fluvalinate. I assure you they will not find
these two chemicals in my comb nor many of my friends!

However why should fluvalinate & coumaphos NOT be the MOST found chemicals
in beekeepers comb? After all they were the most sold mitacides and are
STILL being placed in hives today!
Why harp and point fingers at beekeepers but rather prove they are problems
for bees by making the makers of apistan ( vita Europe) & checkmite ( Bayer)
remove their products from the U.S. market?

I will tell you why. They have no proof that both are causing serious bee
problems. Hypothesis yes. Proof no. As I said above ALL products used to
treat varroa WILL KILL bees if the dose is high enough. There certainly is
some comb which perhaps is at that level but for the most part per label use
does not provide those levels.

The effort to remove apistan & checkmite from the market ( beekeepers not
researchers) has failed mainly because research done by Bayer and ZOE con
say their products do not build in wax to a high enough level to kill or
harm bees!

I am not dissing the poor researchers but  before everybody piles on Bob
much of what researchers write does not fit with what many of us see in the
field.

bob