Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:16:34 -0400
>> When sulfa and OTC were both in use, we never saw resistance, but when
>> OTC had to go it alone, we did.  Now, with Tylan as an alternate we are
>> seeing less AFB problems again.

> Allen, with antibiotics, resistance is simply a matter of time.

We have already agreed on that in debunking the extender patty myth, but it
the same for all antibiotics?  I think not.

> The more in rotation, sometimes that time can be extended.  With constant
> use, the time is generally shortened.

This is generally agreed.

> I'm seeing less AFB, but have not used Tylan to any extent.

What does, "to any extent" mean?

Of course, there are many reasons besides antibiotic choice and use you may
be seeing less.  As previously discussed, some years are just worse for AFB
and others better.  Your stock may have improved in its ability to suppress
AFB.  Your neighbours may be using Tylan...

My experience, however, is that although resistant stock suppresses obvious
outbreaks there may a build-up of sub-clinical infection which becomes
apparent when, through hives requeening themselves, the resistance level
drops in individual hives.

Stay vigilant.