HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:22:46 -0400
Coins have much to offer.  They provide more than just dates.  There are
counterfeits British coins which were heavily produced during the colonial
period.  Why didn't Queen Anne produce small copper coins.... because there
were so many counterfeits out there from the previous monarchy (King William
III). Did you know it was only considered to be a misdemeanor for
counterfeiting halfpennies and farthings in England? Terms like chiseler
come from folks chiseling the coins thin so that they could melt down what
they chiseled off.  There are clipped coins, drilled coins (small coins
placed on a string so that they would not be lost)and coins made into toys
(buzzers).  How long does it take for a coin to wear almost smooth...?  Why
do some coin have milling and other don't?  Do you know why we do not find
British silver or gold coins in the original colonies?  Did you know that
the Spanish silver dollar was legal tender until 1857 and that the U.S.
dollar is based off the Spanish real?

Coins have much more to offer that just dates. We need to be looking past
the dates and look at their meaning in time and place.  In a bartering
economy coins are sparse, yet at tavern sites they are plentiful.

Yes there are loads of books on the subject but it would be nice to have a
book that pulls all of this together from an archaeologist's point of view.
I find that when I give presentations people find these added things of
interest.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Bill Liebeknecht, MA, RPA
Principal Investigator