HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:25:11 -0500
Dana,

First, thanks for getting kids involved. I have done this and used
broken pots (even plant pots work), other 'fake' historic artifacts
(nearly anything can work for this) and some lithic artifacts that I
made. No one got to keep their artifacts and the event was riot-free.
The inability to keep the artifacts did create some excellent situations
where I could discuss collecting with both parents and kids. While they
may not have been happy to walk away with a sticker/ coloring book and
no artifacts, I think they learned an important lesson.

Cheers,
Ben
Muhlenberg College