HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:02:30 -0700
Hi, Nancy,

I forwarded your query to a friend who has interests in European military history.  He suggested that if you can find the names of the French officers, you might try contacting the SHAT (Service Historique d'Armee de Terre) archives at Chateau Vincennes in Paris to see if they can track their personnel files.  These might identify their regiments, training, service experience, etc. to give you a better idea of which ones may have been capable of organizing a siege tunnel operation.  My colleague also pointed out that in European terms, a place like Boonsborough would have been thought of merely as a field work , not a true fortification.  Also, non-engineer trained militia officers may have been just winging it, with little knowledge of siege tunneling, which could help account for the collapse of the tunnel.

Good luck,

Robert Keeler
Professor of Anthropology & Geography
Clackamas Community College