HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:57:56 -0400
I'll echo all these suggestions, Megan, and let you know that people have studied a large number of lime kilns.

You could start by looking at books on industrial Archaeology and reading about lime kilns and then picking apart their footnotes. I'd recommend Palmer and Neaverson (1987), Raistrick 1972, and Gordon and Malone 1997.
http://books.google.com/books?id=l4izpqWCMdgC&dq=archaeology+%22lime+kiln%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s
http://books.google.com/books?id=A-AAAAAAMAAJ&dq=archaeology%20%22lime%20kiln%22&source=gbs_similarbooks
http://books.google.com/books?id=3vFrcOMrLXoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=texture+of+industry&hl=en&ei=OwOmTsaEOM-CsgLv7LHMDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

HABS and HAER have documented them, you can find reports, photos, and other materials in the library of congress:
http://memory.loc.gov/
search for "lime kiln" and you'll find lots of photos and some full reports.

TICCIH reports a few items of interest from 2006, including the fact that Élvio Sousa led an excavation of a lime kiln at Madeira Island and Paco de Arcos opened a municipally-operated Lime Kiln Museum in 2004.  You might also contact Association Française pour l'Étude et la Protection du Patrimoine des Industries de la Chaux et du Ciment (The French Association for the Study and Protection of the Industrial Heritage of the Lime and Cement Industry).

Others:

Archaeological Interpretation and Ethnographic Analogy: The Lime Industry in Western Australia
M Pearson - Archaeology in Oceania, 1986 - JSTOR
... λι .f 0 50 100 150 km BIG GROVE SOUTHERN OCEAN Figure 1. Major towns and lime kiln
locations mentioned in the text ... In essence, the archaeological, documentary, oral historic and
ethnographic contexts all relate to the same cultural activity, and span a mere 140 years. ...

Which includes a study of about thirty lime kilns.

I get the feeling you are asking about a periodic kiln, but just in case:

Friedrich Edouard Hoffmann and the Invention Of Continuous Kiln Technology: The archaeology of the Hoffmann lime kiln and 19th-century industrial development ( …
D Johnson - Industrial Archaeology Review, 2003 - ingentaconnect.com
As the fire advanced, burnt material was removed from some chambers behind the fire while
fresh material was being packed into empty chambers well ahead of the fire. If limestone was
the material, the process of filling was generally known as packing or stacking; if it were ...

There are many studies in back issues of Industrial Archaeology Review, generally of lime kilns in the UK.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search?operator4=AND&operator5=AND&pageSize=50&sortDescending=true&value5=&subscribed=false&value3=Industrial+archaeology+review&value4=&value1=lime+kilns&option5=issue&value2=&option1=tka&option2=author&option3=journalbooktitle&option4=volume&sortField=default&form_name=advanced&ie=॰&operator3=AND&operator2=AND

Among the older articles are:
Lime

'Lime-kilns on the Gloucestershire-Herefordshire Border' (D. BICK), VII-85

'The Offham Chalkpit Tramway: its History and Archaeology' (T.E. EVANS & R.G. MARTIN), IX-189

'Closeburn Limeworks Scheme: a Dumfriesshire Waterpower Complex' (R.J. CLARKE), X-5

'Lime Burning on the Gower Peninsula's Limestone Belt' (L.A. TOFT), XI-75

'The Langcliffe Quarry and Limeworks' (M.R.G. TRUEMAN), XIV-126

'The History and Archaeology of the Calke Abbey lime-yards' (G. MARSHALL, M. PALMER & P. NEAVERSON), XIV-145

'An Experimental Cement Shaft Kiln at Beddingham' (R.G. MARTIN), XVI-170

'Burning Lime in Derbyshire Pye Kilns' (J.T. LEACH), XVII-145

'Friedrich Edouard Hoffmann and the Invention of Continuous Kiln Technology: The archaeology of the Hoffmann kiln and 19th-century industrial development' (Part 1) (DAVID JOHNSON), XXIV-119

Friedrich Edouard Hoffmann and the Invention of the Continuous Kiln Process: The archaeology of the Hoffmann lime kiln and 19th-century industrial development (part 2) (D. JOHNSON), XXV

The many books of Kenneth Hudson will have comparative examples:
http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Kenneth+Hudson%22

you may also find useful to consult period technical trade journals or technical encyclopedias, such as Spon's:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3zRRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=spons+industrial+encyclopedia&hl=en&ei=kgWmTsnUK6js0gHCpJWhDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=spons%20industrial%20encyclopedia&f=false

Cheers,
Tim Scarlett