HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:34:33 -0800
Hi D & L,

Wow, how cool that you can find your Grandfather's work like that!  (I'm
afraid if I had that in my family history I'd "need" to buy every piece!  I
can imagine the teetering piles...)

I don't have a Cronin China Co. piece in my reference collection of complete
wares.

But, for instance, I have beside me a piece of Haviland's Ranson pattern.
The designer of this pattern, Ranson, for Haviland was possibly Paul Ranson.
(Travis, Nora, 2000, Evolution of Haviland China Design, Schiffer, Atglen
Pennsylvania: 143).
I want you to pretend Haviland = Cronin China Co., and Paul Ranson = your
Grandfather

Describing the bottom roughly:
starting at the very center -
- beginning near 3/16" from the middle are 2 concentric lines (@ 3/16"
apart) (lightest in prominence)
- then a space of about 1 3/4"
- then another set of concentric lines (@3/16" apart) (medium prominence)
- next the footring about 3/4" from that
- following at about another 3/4" is a single concentric line (this line is
heaviest) in prominence

So D & L, are you suggesting that - to the [Haviland Company/Cronin] - these
concentric lines meant [Paul Ranson/your Grandpa]?  Or that they meant part
of the patented Ranson shape?  Or both?

So, would other Paul Ranson designed shapes have the same series of
concentric lines?

S.

Disclaimer to everyone following this:  I understand that what Cronin China
Co. did is not necessairily what Haviland did!