HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Leo Demski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 01:55:53 +0000
Hello- there's a very interesting article, "Tradition and Adaptatin (sic) in Moravian Press-Molded  Earthenware        by Johanna Brown"
       on Moravian press molded ceramics which includes some mention of casters- though not really a specific description of what they are.  Its at http://chipstone.com/publications/CIA/2009/brown/brownindex.html  (this is apparently the online component of the Ceramics In America publication- article is contained in the 2009 edition with other Moravian ceramics articles.)

If you check out the illustrations, #'s 26, 37 and 38 are all listed as casters, including #38- a chicken shaped caster with numerous small holes near the top of the piece.  Brown says that ""Chickens" (fig. 38) and "foxes,"[were] designed for dispensing spices or fine powders".

Item#37's description is also useful (the object is a small press molded figural bottle in the shape of a lady). Brown writes, "It has a cluster of small holes in the back and a single, larger hole
in the bottom, suggesting that this object functioned as a caster."

 Hope that helps-
-Leo Demski