HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kate and Silas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:01:00 +0000
You might want to check with the Maryland Geological Survey - as I recall there were active chrome mines west of Baltimore near the Soldier's Delight serpantine barrens - the Geological Survey's annual reports discuss mineral exploitation and MGS has been in buisness since the 19th c. Here is a link to an article on their web site: Maryland's Geologic Features: Soldiers Delight Serpentine Barrens, Baltimore County ****... source of chromium ore. During the 19th century Soldiers Delight and the Bare Hills district of Baltimore City were the largest producers of chrome in the world. In these two locations, chromite is a significant accessory mineral in the serpentine and was mined up until 1860. Several old mines and quarries ...
http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/features/soldiers.html 05/23/07, 11744 bytes Silas Hurry HSMC