shantys remained standing and why. Then find out if anyone seems to care 
other than yourself- that is is anyone taking note of whatever differnce 
in technology made survival possible. A good design has to be noticed, 
remembered and replicated in order for adaptation to go forward. Having 
set up many a tarp roof and tent it is possible to get it better some 
times than others.

Conrad

Mark Henderson wrote:

>Stephanie - The observation that vernacular architecture that holds up well in earthquakes ([wood frame with gables] that are relatively infrequent compared to hurricanes) doesn't necessarily do well in hurricanes (concrete, masonry, brick, rammed earth) seems like a useful observation? Are there vernacular designs that do both? - Mark
>
>Mark Henderson
>Chupadero Archeological Resources, LLC
>El Prado, New Mexico
>
>---------- Original Message ----------
>
>
>Hi Marcy,
>
>Hopefully this is somewhat helpful, though a big long winded.
>
>Vernacular architecture in Haiti is fundamentally based on the self-help, incremental building process.  Materials are stockpiled as families can afford them, and it takes many years for a house to be constructed.  Haiti, like most Caribbean nations, lacks sufficient building regulations, and often structures are built using inexpensive metal rebar and concrete blocks that will not stand up against an earthquake. 
>
>I am not overly familiar with Haitian vernacular architecture but there are many commonalities throughout the Caribbean region.  I just completed my MA thesis on vernacular domestic houses on sugar plantations in post emancipation Barbados.  Most of the domestic structures built in the region are the traditional chattel wooden house, and the modern concrete/ metal rebar structures.  What is interesting about the choice between permanent and impermanent building materials—wood vs. stone or modern concrete—is often a factor dictated by social class and status.  I am not entirely certain if this holds true in Haiti since the two nations have radically different histories, but in Barbados residents on plantation lands refused to build with naturally occurring limestone or concrete because they needed their houses to be mobile. Interestingly, the wooden chattel houses built with steep, gable roofs (at a pitch of at least 35 degrees) stood up fairly well in tropical storms, an!
> d especially so in earthquakes.  The stone and concrete houses were most disastrous in earthquakes but safer in hurricanes.  Overall there are many factors to take into consideration when determining what is the soundest structural building in a region that is always under harsh environmental hazards such as heavy rains and winds, tropical storms, constant sun, termites, hurricanes, earthquakes—coupled with little or no economic resources.
>
>Finally, the social significance of housing is too often ignored and results in disastrous governmental building projects.  As I mentioned previously, in Barbados people often subordinated economic factors and other issues in house construction.  Even as late as the 1960s when the colonial government created many housing schemes to build permanent, hurricane-safe structures at affordable prices, they were largely unsuccessful because they did not take into account how important it was for sugar workers to independently possess a mobile, impermanent house.  Further, throughout Barbados there is still resistance for many to enter into housing loans with the government or other financial institutions because of centuries of mistrust between landlords and tenants and other land tenure/ economic dynamics.  Ideally, for Haiti to be rebuilt it would be an autonomous and independent project by Haitians.  What is really needed for the nation to successfully do this is access to resou!
> rces= $$$$$, materials, and time.  Unfortunately I am not certain this is possible in light of the gravity and scale of the tragedy in Haiti and wish you the best,,Stephanie Bergman
>
>
>--- On Tue, 1/19/10, Martin C. Perdue <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>From: Martin C. Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: Haiti and earthquake archaeology
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 8:08 PM
>>Hi Marcy, 
>>
>>Since I work in a library, I thought I'd try finding
>>appropriate bibliography.  There is a Library of
>>Congress subject heading for "earthquake resistant design"
>>that you can further qualify by region.  Nothing under
>>Haiti in particular, but several hits for the Caribbean
>>region:
>>
>>1. Richard P. Clarke, et. al., Basic principles of
>>earthquake resistance housing for the Caribbean
>>(Trinidad:  ABEL Division of ANSA McAL Enterprises
>>Ltd., ; Engineering Institute, Faculty of Engineering,
>>U.W.I., 2008).  32pp.  ["Partly based on a paper
>>written by Dr. R.P. Clarke, Consulting Structural,
>>Earthquake and Quality Engineer, R.P. Clarke and
>>Associates."]  OCLC# 317122474
>>
>>--Mr. Clarke may be worth consulting.  I see he's also
>>written an article on hurricane proof ferrocement roofs for
>>Caribbean buildings.  And here is a second article on
>>Clarke and his ideas for disaster rebuilding in the
>>region.  He appears to be on the faculty at the
>>University of the West Indies.
>>
>>2. Model building codes for earthquakes and wind loads /
>>Codigos modelo de construccion sismos y cargas de viento, 1
>>CD-ROM (Port of Spain, Trinidad:  Association of
>>Caribbean States, 2003).  [See also project web site
>>here.]  OCLC# 57395670
>>
>>3. Lionel Henry Fortune, "An investigation into the
>>Caribbean Uniform Building Code (CUBIC) requirements for
>>economic seismic design of multi-storey steel frames,"
>>Thesis (M. Sc.) -- University of the West Indies, St.
>>Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, 1989.  OCLC# 521399948
>>
>>
>>For references combining earthquake resistant design and
>>vernacular architecture, I found the following:
>>
>>4. F. Ferrigni, et. al., Ancient buildings and
>>earthquakes:  reducing the vulnerability of historical
>>built-up environment by recovering the local seismic
>>culture:  principles, methods, potentialities (Bari,
>>Italy:  Edipuglia, 2005)  [360pp., collected
>>essays -- 1st 185 pages avail. via google books]  OCLC#
>>62597798
>>
>>5. Matthew Anthony French, "Aiding adobe:  development
>>of contextually responsive seismic reinforcing for Latin
>>American adobe homes," Thesis (M.Arch.) -- Victoria
>>University of Wellington, 2007.  OCLC# 271054752
>>
>>6.  Matthew Anthony French, Architectural wrinkles
>>(Wellington, New Zealand: Victoria University of Wellington,
>>2006). [160pp. earthquake resistant design; vernacular
>>architecture; adobe, Belize]  OCLC# 156757436
>>
>>7.  Earthquake-resistant construction and seismic
>>strengthening of non-engineered buildings in rural areas of
>>Maharashtra:  manual (Bombay:  Maharashtra
>>Emergency Earthquake Rehabilitation Programme, Revenue &
>>Forests Dept., 1998).  [261pp. earthquake resistant
>>design; vernacular architecture, masonry, India]  OCLC#
>>40837842
>>
>>If any of the hyperlinks don't work, here are the embedded
>>urls:
>>
>><http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2G-4XJP5TN-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1172946576&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9b8a73709166c7ce456f641ad649c22e>
>>
>><http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2006-08-27/bussguardian11.html>
>>
>><http://www.acs-aec.org/Disasters/Projects/ACS_ND_001/building_codes_eng.htm>
>>
>><http://books.google.com/books?id=T0s9DeosdA0C&lpg=PP1&ots=5Hc25eedP4&dq=%22ancient%20buildings%20and%20earthquakes%22&pg=PA185#v=onepage&q=&f=false>
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marty Perdue
>>[log in to unmask]
>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>ReplyReply AllMove...InboxCliffFamilyFriendsJerryMandyPikeSchoolTo CliffUEGo to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages     Select Message EncodingASCII (ASCII)Greek (ISO-8859-7)Greek (Windows-1253)Latin-10 (ISO-8859-16)Latin-3 (ISO-8859-3)Latin-6 (ISO-8859-10)Latin-7 (ISO-8859-13)Latin-8 (ISO-8859-14)Latin-9 (ISO-8859-15)W. European (850)W. European (CP858)W. European (HPROMAN8)W. European (MACROMAN8)W. European (Windows-1252)Armenia (ARMSCII-8)Baltic Rim (ISO-8859-4)Baltic Rim (WINDOWS-1257)Cyrillic (866)Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)Cyrillic (KOI8-R)Cyrillic (KOI8-RU)Cyrillic (KOI8-T)Cyrillic (KOI8-U)Cyrillic (WINDOWS-1251)Latin-2 (852)Latin-2 (ISO-8859-2)Latin-2 (WINDOWS-1250)Turkish (ISO-8859-9)Turkish (WINDOWS-1254)Arabic (ISO-8859-6, ASMO-708)Arabic (WINDOWS-1256)Hebrew (856)Hebrew (862)Hebrew (WINDOWS-1255)Chinese Simplified (GB-2312-80)Chinese Simplified (GB18030)Chinese Simplified (HZ-GB-2312)Chinese Simplified (ISO-2022-CN)Chinese Simplified (WINDOWS-936)C!
> hinese Trad.-Hong Kong (BIG5-HKSCS)Chinese Traditional (BIG5)Chinese Traditional (EUC-TW)Japanese (SHIFT_JIS)Japanese (EUC-JP)Japanese (ISO-2022-JP)Korean (ISO-2022-KR)Korean (EUC-KR)Thai (TIS-620-2533)Thai (WINDOWS-874)Vietnamese (TCVN-5712)Vietnamese (VISCII)Vietnamese (WINDOWS-1258)Unicode (UTF-7)Unicode (UTF-8)Unicode (UTF-16)Unicode (UTF-32)| Full Headers Reply Reply All Forward Forward 
>. 
> 
>Mail Search 
>   
>WelcomeInboxNewFoldersMail Options 
> 
>
>
>Copyright © 1994-2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Guidelines
>NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.
>To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy - About Our Ads.
> 
>
>
>---- Original message ----
>  
>
>>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:08:30 +0000
>>From: "Martin C. Perdue" <[log in to unmask]>  
>>Subject: Re: Haiti and earthquake archaeology  
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>Hi Marcy, 
>>
>>Since I work in a library, I thought I'd try finding appropriate bibliography.  There is a Library of Congress subject heading for "earthquake resistant design" that you can further qualify by region.  Nothing under Haiti in particular, but several hits for the Caribbean region:
>>
>>1. Richard P. Clarke, et. al., Basic principles of earthquake resistance housing for the Caribbean (Trinidad:  ABEL Division of ANSA McAL Enterprises Ltd., ; Engineering Institute, Faculty of Engineering, U.W.I., 2008).  32pp.  ["Partly based on a paper written by Dr. R.P. Clarke, Consulting Structural, Earthquake and Quality Engineer, R.P. Clarke and Associates."]  OCLC# 317122474
>>
>>--Mr. Clarke may be worth consulting.  I see he's also written an article on hurricane proof ferrocement roofs for Caribbean buildings.  And here is a second article on Clarke and his ideas for disaster rebuilding in the region.  He appears to be on the faculty at the University of the West Indies.
>>
>>2. Model building codes for earthquakes and wind loads / Codigos modelo de construccion sismos y cargas de viento, 1 CD-ROM (Port of Spain, Trinidad:  Association of Caribbean States, 2003).  [See also project web site here.]  OCLC# 57395670
>>
>>3. Lionel Henry Fortune, "An investigation into the Caribbean Uniform Building Code (CUBIC) requirements for economic seismic design of multi-storey steel frames," Thesis (M. Sc.) -- University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, 1989.  OCLC# 521399948
>>
>>
>>For references combining earthquake resistant design and vernacular architecture, I found the following:
>>
>>4. F. Ferrigni, et. al., Ancient buildings and earthquakes:  reducing the vulnerability of historical built-up environment by recovering the local seismic culture:  principles, methods, potentialities (Bari, Italy:  Edipuglia, 2005)  [360pp., collected essays -- 1st 185 pages avail. via google books]  OCLC# 62597798
>>
>>5. Matthew Anthony French, "Aiding adobe:  development of contextually responsive seismic reinforcing for Latin American adobe homes," Thesis (M.Arch.) -- Victoria University of Wellington, 2007.  OCLC# 271054752
>>
>>6.  Matthew Anthony French, Architectural wrinkles (Wellington, New Zealand: Victoria University of Wellington, 2006). [160pp. earthquake resistant design; vernacular architecture; adobe, Belize]  OCLC# 156757436
>>
>>7.  Earthquake-resistant construction and seismic strengthening of non-engineered buildings in rural areas of Maharashtra:  manual (Bombay:  Maharashtra Emergency Earthquake Rehabilitation Programme, Revenue & Forests Dept., 1998).  [261pp. earthquake resistant design; vernacular architecture, masonry, India]  OCLC# 40837842
>>
>>If any of the hyperlinks don't work, here are the embedded urls:
>>
>><http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2G-4XJP5TN-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1172946576&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9b8a73709166c7ce456f641ad649c22e>
>>
>><http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2006-08-27/bussguardian11.html>
>>
>><http://www.acs-aec.org/Disasters/Projects/ACS_ND_001/building_codes_eng.htm>
>>
>><http://books.google.com/books?id=T0s9DeosdA0C&lpg=PP1&ots=5Hc25eedP4&dq=%22ancient%20buildings%20and%20earthquakes%22&pg=PA185#v=onepage&q=&f=false>
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marty Perdue
>>[log in to unmask]
>>    
>>
>
>  
>

ATOM RSS1 RSS2