HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:10:06 GMT
Marcy - I have no expertise in Haitian archeology or architecture, and do not wish to waste your time.  It seems to me that local preservation architects and students of vernacular architecture might be particularly knowledgeable about traditional earthquake resilient building practices and preparedness. I lurk on the National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP) Forum discussion list because of my interest in preservation architecture (forum-l) and see no discussion on the Haitian Earthquake!

The NTHP as you may know has a page on disaster relief but no earthquake related projects or guidance are posted:
 http://www.preservationnation.org/resources/technical-assistance/disaster-recovery/

Likewise I just checked the US-ICOMOS Website forum where I can find no discussion of earthquake architecture design:
 http://www.usicomos.org/forum

However there appears to be particular expertise at the ICOMOS Website: http://www.international.icomos.org/home.htm
where there is a message from ICOMOS President Gustavo Aaroz who just happens to be an expert on the Haitian World Heritage Site Citadelle Laferrière.

I did discover a group called Open Architecture which has started "pre-design" on a Haitian Reconstruction Project.  The project is posted at: http://www.openarchitecturenetwork.org/projects/haiti_reconstruction
If there were specific traditional architectural design considerations applied in Haiti I would think they would be interested, if not already knowledgeable.

Also members of the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists might have knowledge of traditional building practices that have been resilient to earthquakes worldwide.
http://www.aegweb.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Without getting too clinical, I would be surprised to learn that  vernacular rural building practices would be based on planning for earthquake resilience in Haiti or anywhere else, but will be pleased to hear what you find out, or others know about the matter, and gladly be wrong.  I am delighted to find out that my taxes are going for government employees who are committed to doing the job of government to use knowledge to plan for and protect its citizens.  Please let us know what you find out. Thank you for your service. - Mark

Mark Henderson
Chupadero Archeological Resources, LLC
El Prado, New Mexico