From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:18:41 -0800

> >Is there anything we (concerned beekeepers who hope to act responsibly)
> can
> do about this?

The National Honey Bee Advisory Board (NHBAB) needs to hear your input, as I
am the *only* beekeeper who took issue with their letter to Lisa Jackson,
head of the EPA.  I felt that their letter was factually inaccurate,
accusatory, and demanding. To their immense credit, they have now pulled it
from the NHB website, and are redrafting.

You can write Dave Mendez, president, and George Hansen, VP, of the American
Beekeeping Federation to let them hear your views.

If you are a member of the American Honey Producers Association you can
write to these guys:
Kenny Haff  [log in to unmask]
Richard Adee [log in to unmask]

They especially need to hear from beekeepers who are exposed to neonics who
aren't having problems associated with the chemicals.

However, this is not at all about whether the neonics are a problem or
not--there are clear problems that need to be addressed.  But flat out
demanding that the EPA immediately pull registration of the major seed
treatment of several major crops without scientific evidence is ridiculous,
and will get us nowhere!

Rather, this should be about creating a positive dialog with the EPA, the
farm lobby, and the pesticide companies to determine the extent of any
problems, and to move forward to address them in a reasonable manner that
takes into account the needs of all stakeholders, and the environment.  At
this point, the regulators are simply blowing off some of the complaints and
demands from our industry due to the manner in which they are presented, and
due to their frustration that our representatives have not made the effort
to understand the science and legal process involved.

Believe me, the regulators are all ears if we approach them rationally, and
in the spirit of cooperation!

There are other serious pesticide issues, such as the growing body of
evidence that fungicides are extremely detrimental to bees, that are not
being addressed well due to the focus on the neonicotinoids.  There are
still serious problems with other classes of insecticides, as well as of the
adjuvants used, and with tank mixes and synergies.  The regulators and
pesticide industry also want to address problems with illegal application,
incident reporting, and better pesticide assessment. The narrow focus on the
neonicotinoids distracts from all these other serious pesticide issues, and
detracts from our credibility.

The beekeepers, IMHO, would be best represented if our concerns were backed
up by sound evidence, and founded in good science, rather than conjecture.
 It's about being constructive, rather than critical.

One of the concerns expressed by the EPA is that their employees are
receiving death threats, based upon the hysteria fomented by certain
groups.  The NHBAB members, in their public statements, are playing into
this hysteria.  We need, as an industry, to stop adding to this sort of
grandstanding  and public spectacle.

The NHBAB ostensibly represents all beekeepers in the US to the regulatory
agencies.  You have every right for your views to be heard.  I have the
greatest respect for the leaders of our industry, and the members of the
NHBAB, with whom I enjoy and edgy friendship (Dave Mendes especially
deserves our thanks for doing an excellent job, and for making every effort
to do the right thing).  Every one of them is dedicating their time toward
what they feel are the best interests for our industry.  I am not
criticizing them personally, but do feel that some of them could be handling
this situation in a more constructive manner.

Please keep your letters polite, respectful, and constructive.

Randy Oliver