From:
Kevin Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:14:54 +1300
Hi Randy
Can you explain what you mean this...

> (bleach acts as both an acid and a base, and as a source of toxic
chlorine).

Do we get a base of bleach that impregnates the comb and is this toxic to
Nosema C and/or Nosema A spores.
Also does sodium hypochlorite ever get too much for the bees?

Also has anyone seen any work demonstrating Sodium Hypochlorite being
effective against Chalk brood, sac brood or other bee stressors other than
Mark Goodwin's AFB research?

I have a Solo backpack sprayer with "Janola only" written on it. I have used
this all season to mist a dilution on all clean deadout combs I bring in to
hopefully clean them up.
I also cut out the ugly comb and paraffin the remaining hive ware before
reusing.
Having said that I am still quite happy to throw a clean dead out straight
onto the next strong hive for a later split.

Kevin Gibbs
Commercial
New Zealand