From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:05:22 -0500
>The fact is, a lot of people are convinced that pesticides have a prominent
>role in CCD:

Because few hives have actually been confirmed CCD of the 600,000 hives ( a
figure between 25%-30% of U.S. hives) lost last year would this statement be
correct :

"The fact is, a lot of people are convinced that pesticides, fungicides &
herbicides used each year have a prominent roll in colony weakness and
collapse"

A simple yes or no will do.

Only a very few on the list use their bees for pollination for a fee. Those
of us which do watch many times the bees collapse before our eyes (while
splits made exactly the same) thrive in range country.

Those taking bees into the orange groves for orange honey watch the hives
many times go down hill now since the wide scale use of systemic pesticides.

I observe corn pollen sealed in cells (ruining my comb) these days. Why are
the bees bringing the pollen in and then sealing the cells not even wanting
to remove the pollen? I do not know why but what many of us see. Only seen
by me since the seed treated corn became widespread.

Crop after crop switching to the neonicotinoids is finding the going tough
to get hives brought in.

Pumpkins and watermelons are two crops many beekeepers refuse to pollinate.

Gene Brandi - watermelons
Dave Hackenberg- pumpkins

to name a couple and also Bob Harrison both watermelons & pumpkins when the
neonicotinoids are being used.

Many of us would like to see Bayer fund research on these crops.

Thanks to Bayer for funding Jerry's work. I do not believe Bayer influenced
the results but one would be pretty naive to not think Jerry's findings
would not help take heat off the neonicotinoids.

In my opinion Jerry's research is not a lot different than the original
findings of nosema cerane and VIRUS in 100% of the first CCD hives looked
at. Different viruses but still the same basic hypothesis.

At the market today a 100 people came up and said researchers have found the
cause of CCD.

Fact:
A possible cause but its going to be a tough hypothesis to prove and like
the first virus and nosema in combination hypothesis has no cure other than
controlling varroa and nosema ceranae levels.

Again I applaud jerry and his crew for their fine research and wish many on
the entomology list would stop linking Jerry to Bayer and trying to
discredit our Dave Green for trying to defend jerry and the study.
Dave asked for me to join in but few on that list think Jerry's study has
merit!

Many on the entomology list are trying to KILL the messenger when they found
out Bayer funded the study. Surely Jerry you knew the fact Bayer funded the
study would come out? if you had said so from the start then I do not
believe would have been a big deal.

I read the entomology list but have only done one post. Silence was had as
the list pondered my post!

 I have plenty to add but the Entomology list has a low opinion of
commercial beekeepers from my reading. Researchers have ran most commercial
beekeepers (if not all but Dave) off the list. Sound familiar?

Again thanks to Bayer and Jerry for the current study!

bob