ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:16:47 -0500

Hey Ian,

Not sure what to suggest for the air foil but a number of years back I built an wind chamber using medium-sized industrial fans.  These would have been sold either mounted on a stand or on a wall pivot.  We purchased just the fans. We imbedded them in a wall within a netted cage.  That added a double layer of protection.  Pay attention to the enclosing grille since some where not tight enough to keep fingers out.

It kicked up plenty of wind.  But it was LOUD* and the power load was high.  But it was a very simple design to assemble for a reasonable price.

You can see it if you go to my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichrose/ and visit the Air Fair set.

Also I looked into the idea of a "foil" to manipulate and it proved challenging.  It seemed the trick was having something mounted in such a way that you could "feel" what was going on without it being squirley.  Think of the way your hand behaves when you hold it out the window of the car. In just the right position it cuts through nice-n-stable, but twist it too far up or down and it gets slammed about.  Now imagine that device in front of a kids face or body.  I have yet to see this done in fashion I felt was successful without it being a HUGE contraption and thus overwhelming the concept.

* make sure everyone involved understands how LOUD these exhibits will be.

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746