ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:04:30 -0500

This has been an interesting thread

This topic came up during a "thought experiment" professional development opportunity we had a few years ago.  Over the period of a year three teams of staff developed a year 2050 version of Shedd Aquarium.

When it came to education, out team did something similar to Andréa's idea - have field trip days of only one grade. Since aquariums don't have the high level of interactivity as do science centers, we suggested closing the building to the public on those days and putting up guided activity centers in the exhibits so that the students could roam freely, and with their teachers use the entire facility to explore the exhibits, enjoy the animals and take part in special activities while interacting with children from other schools.

We host 300,000 students a year, so we suggested the same number be handled in 12 special days (which we 'scheduled' for our slowest visitor attendance).  This sounded fundable to us, which would compensate for the lost revenue as well as fund the production of the special activities.

Ann, thanks for bringing up the topic, and Margaret, I'll be sure to check on the Connect forum.

Linda Wilson
Director, Audience Research and Evaluation
Shedd Aquarium
Chicago, IL