HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:25:50 -0700
As part of the original archaeology survey (Cara Wise, Field Director) of Fort Drum, NY (Camp Drum intil 1974, before Pine Camp) for the then future cantonment of the US Army 10th Mountain Division (from Camp Hale, CO I've read) we once stopped in our big Ford Bronco along a highway there which had been a CCC camp. She said it, apparently, had also been used as an Italian POW camp. We looked it over but all we could see was a bulldozed pile. That was back in 1983, and much work has been done there since by other archaeology surveys. You might want to check with them. It's next to a major highway. Who knows?

Also see "http://jeffco.wikispaces.com/Fort+Drum" where it states in 1934, Madison Barracks, not too far from Fort Drum, was the headquarters of 10 CCC camps. I worked on the "adaptive reuse" of the Madison Barracks, adjacent to one of New York States Urban Cultural Parks, the very historic Sackets Harbor, NY and is where Zebulon Pike's remains were interred and many began their military careers and the future President Grant was first assigned after West Point Academy, later an US Army Captain on Governors Island, NY.

George Myers