ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:53:36 -0000

We're dealing with a highly contagious, mutable meme. However it is a meme
that feeds - in fact is totally dependent - on the 'tribal markings' I
described on Friday. If I accept evolution, I MUST be an atheist. If I
believe in the Creator, I MUST oppose evolution.

I was also shocked to read about the death threats in yesterday's Guardian.
People like Dr Usama Hasan are the Achilles' heel of religious
anti-evolutionism because their very existence undermines the basis of the
meme. Here is a science lecturer and Muslim leader advocating acceptance of
evolution.

Last week I attended an informal meeting at the University of Manchester,
UK, where the subject was, 'Can a scientist believe in God'. Speakers were
Prof. Peter Budd (polymer chemistry) and Prof. David Watts (biomaterials),
both committed Christians who accept evolution. The audience seemed to be an
unusual mixture of local church-goers and university students.

For years, Darwin's unacknowledged 'Church-Mice' (and Mosque-Mice?) have
been quietly and effectively nibbling away at the roots of the meme, doing
their utmost to release believers from slavish anti-evolutionism. We have
had little recognition or support and much hostility from both sides of the
tribal boundary.

Meanwhile Darwin's ("God Delusion") Bulldogs have actively supported
anti-evolutionists in promoting the science versus religion 'tribal conflict
model' in which the anti-evolution meme is rooted. They have been feeding
the fire.

Perhaps it would be helpful to feed Darwin's Church Mice and defend us from
Darwin's Bulldogs. Poor Dr Usama Hasan needs all the support he can get, but
not from a tribe wearing anti-religion warpaint.

Promoting public engagement with science
through a contagious delight in phenomena
*
[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell (Twitter: ianrusselluk)