ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:17:32 -0600
Subject:
From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>

As to whether a museum exhibit has ever changed the world, I've
spoken with many individuals who claim life-changing experiences from
exhibitions: for example, a high energy physicist confided once that
he chose to pursue his life's work when he saw a laser exhibit as a
child visiting the 1964 NY Worlds Fair.  I think this qualifies as a
resounding yes to the question of whether exhibition can change the
world, albeit by setting my own conditions, more "micro-" to
Charlie's implied "macro."

As an artist I've fielded the question of whether art can change the
world many times, to which I usually respond that I, too, am a
skeptic.  But I keep a running list of examples that offer
affirmative (particularly "macro-") proof anyway.  (My favorite--
though arguably shrouded in so much legend, it needs to be taken with
salt-- is the story of Shostakovich's 7th Symphony turning back the
Nazi forces, ending the Seige of Leningrad.  That's a story for
another time...)

As for the value of formal evaluation, I often cite a real world
example of how the utility of the process was missed.  In short, I
was involved in designing and producing a n exhibit which suffered
copious text (forced by donor persuasion, ick).  There was a lot of
nervousness on the museum staff about the word count, but one day,
one of the exhibits team saw a young person using the exhibit and
taking the time to read all of the text.  Horribly, in the formal
evaluation vaccuum, like a staff-wide game of telephone, this
exciting andecdote attentuated into testament.  At some point, our
graphic designer was actually claiming to a group of nodding heads in
the conference room that we'd discovered a font that encouraged
visitors to read overly-long labels.  This may sound ridiculous to
seasoned professionals, but in fact it's often the way information
moves in the social systems to which we all belong.  I was swept up
in the geist, as well, until these "findings" began to influence
other projects, and I had a moment of clarity and blew a whistle.

All this to say, "institution-think" is a very real phenomenon,
affects the wisest of institutions, and can be exceedingly
dangerous.  Third-party, formal evaluation is one of the few tried-
and-true checks and balances against memes-gone-wild.  We cannot rely
only on what the critics write in the reviews.  (Cough.)

On the other hand, I'm a skeptic, too.  Formal evaluation in design
shares similarities with big brainstorming sessions, of which I am a
big fan.  But I am an even bigger fan of creative leadership that
damns the committee and forges ahead responsibly toward a singular
vision.

None of these thoughts are contradictory. because everything serves
its own purpose in the bigger picture.

: Jason

__
JasonJayStevens