Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:12:35 EDT
I always use hot water  - not necessarily boiling, but hot enough to  cause
discomfort if you stick your hand in it.

My experience is that a heavy syrup mixed in cold water is more likely to
crystallize and precipitate out the first night that it freezes.

One spring, I had a real mess - 120 colonies, 90 miles away, cold, wet,
rain.  I had made the syrup up in the field (cold water), then fed in pails
on the inner covers.  Came back to check - the sugar had dropped out,
plugged the screens, bees were starving.  I ended up in the yard with a  large
Coleman Stove and a big bucket, reheating the syrup - price of sugar  was
through the roof that year, and I had a very small research budget.  I  had a hot
shot stats consultant provided by EPA who came out to review the  project,
ended up spending the day stirring the cooking syrup while I retrieved  and
refilled pails.

We also use a proprietary syrup solution in our bee training systems, which
 uses small pumps.  Cold water mixes tend to settle back out, clog the
pumps.  Never have that problem if we use HOT water and stir till  clear.

Allen apparently gets around this problem by leaving the settled sugar in
the stock tank.

Jerryh