From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:21:16 -0500
Hey Jeremy,
I am scratching my head on this deal. Amitraz resistant varroa are around.
The only reason *in my opinion* a amitraz strip is not on the market now is
many commercial beekeepers would not buy as recipes for amatraz number like
the stars in beekeeping circles and many work fine.
Strips with the same make up killed a 150 test hives in the Florida
panhandle many years ago. Reason unknown but the beekeeper with the hives
said happened ( told to me personally by the owner of the hives)and the
maker of the old amatraz strip agreed and pulled the
strips off the market. recalled the strips.

I see nothing wrong with South Dakota applying for the strips but would
caution .

States usually only allow one section 18 for emergency use for a specific
pest. Once in place and if one beekeeper wants the product( amatraz strips)
its hard to get
dropped if others want a section 18 for the new formic strips.( we found
this out with a few hard headed beekeepers not wanting to
give up the section 18 for coumaphos).

. The new formic strips of David Vanderdusen are being sent in under a
section 18. However Liz said she hopes for a full registration in the next
12-18 months for most states ( section 3 I think its called)

My choice would be the formic strips for a number of reasons.

Beekeepers have rode fluvalinate, coumaphos and amatraz into the ground.
Lets hitch our wagon to a new product.

1. the formic strips kill varroa on bees *and in cells* and fast as opposed
to the the
amatraz strips which takes 42 days.

2. the amatraz leaves some residue although not like fluvalinate or
coumaphos and formic does not.

3. the formic strips can be used when supers are on which is a big plus.

My 2 cents worth and still scratching my head over the issue.

South Dakota beekeepers desperate for amatraz strips. Hmmm.

bob