From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:18:16 -0400
> my
> hypothesis: What I am seeing *today* ( as we are in our second wet season
> and the rivers are flooding or near flood stage) is the roundup is running
> from the fields and eliminating the clovers (white Dutch, yellow and white
> sweet ) from all the low areas.

My initial reaction is to doubt this hypothesis based on my
understanding of how RoundUp works (and I'll state up front, I do not
know how RoundUp works).  But I thought the active ingredient:
Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine) is a broad-spectrum systemic
herbicide  used to kill weeds, especially perennials. It is typically
sprayed and absorbed through the leaves, injected into the trunk, or
applied to the stump of a tree, or broadcast or used in the cut-stump
treatment as a forestry herbicide.
needed to be absorbed through the leaves.  Speculation that the
RoundUp is migrating though the soil is contrary to:
When glyphosate comes into contact with the soil, it can be rapidly
bound to soil particles and be inactivated.[36]  Unbound glyphosate
can be degraded by bacteria.[71] ...

In soils, half-lives vary from as little as 3 days at a site in Texas
to 141 days at a site in Iowa.[73] In addition, the glyphosate
metabolite aminomethylphosphonic acid has been shown to persist up to
2 years in Swedish forest soils.[74] Glyphosate adsorption varies
depending on the kind of soil.[75]

Hmmm.  Perhaps this is a case of different results when the lab is
surrounded by walls than when the lab is mother earth.

Nonetheless, Bob's hypothesis makes for interesting speculation and as
is most often the case, more research is needed.

Aaron Morris - thinking RoundUp go round!

Glyphosate quotes from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate